
2261 Shattuck AveBerkeley, CA 94704
(510) 548-6900
angelineskitchen.com
Map It
Menu
Review This Restaurant
Its been a while since I've dropped about $20 on lunch and felt like I've gotten every pennies worth. I had that experience today after eating at Angeline's Louisiana Kitchen in Berkeley. Its a pretty small place, and I've heard there can be a hell of a wait for dinner. Luckily, I was there for lunch and the place was actually pretty empty. I got seated at a small table towards the back and began looking over the menu. I was already in the mood for a sandwich today, and have always wanted to try a Po' Boy so this seemed like the perfect opportunity. I went with the Oyster Po' Boy ($12.95) and added a cup (More like a small bowl) of their Gumbo ($2.50). After about 10 minutes or so the food came out and looked delicious from the get go. I started off with the gumbo, which was very good. Full of tons of andoullie sausage, as well as shrimp (I only got one in mine though). Be prepared for a bit of a bite, because it definitely has that. After I finished that I went on to the highlight of the meal, the Po' Boy. Let me tell you, this thing was pure perfection. I had planned on putting some hot sauce on it, but they beat me to it with the perfect amount, as well as some lettuce, tomato, horseradish and some perfectly fried oysters served on a tasty baguette. The oysters tasted so fresh and were just melt in your mouth delicious. If you come here, be prepared to spend a little money, but know that you are going to walk out being happy you did.
Quality of food = 8
Service = 8
Value = 8
Cleanliness = 8
Avg cost per person - $20 with tip
Map It
Menu
Review This Restaurant
Its been a while since I've dropped about $20 on lunch and felt like I've gotten every pennies worth. I had that experience today after eating at Angeline's Louisiana Kitchen in Berkeley. Its a pretty small place, and I've heard there can be a hell of a wait for dinner. Luckily, I was there for lunch and the place was actually pretty empty. I got seated at a small table towards the back and began looking over the menu. I was already in the mood for a sandwich today, and have always wanted to try a Po' Boy so this seemed like the perfect opportunity. I went with the Oyster Po' Boy ($12.95) and added a cup (More like a small bowl) of their Gumbo ($2.50). After about 10 minutes or so the food came out and looked delicious from the get go. I started off with the gumbo, which was very good. Full of tons of andoullie sausage, as well as shrimp (I only got one in mine though). Be prepared for a bit of a bite, because it definitely has that. After I finished that I went on to the highlight of the meal, the Po' Boy. Let me tell you, this thing was pure perfection. I had planned on putting some hot sauce on it, but they beat me to it with the perfect amount, as well as some lettuce, tomato, horseradish and some perfectly fried oysters served on a tasty baguette. The oysters tasted so fresh and were just melt in your mouth delicious. If you come here, be prepared to spend a little money, but know that you are going to walk out being happy you did.
Quality of food = 8
Service = 8
Value = 8
Cleanliness = 8
Avg cost per person - $20 with tip
1 comment:
I took my wife back to Angeline's for dinner the other night. Luckily we thought ahead to make reservations and got right in because the wait looked pretty ugly otherwise. To start we ordered the hush puppies ($4.95) and the oysters bordelaise ($10.95). The hush puppies were very good. Nice and doughy on the inside served with a nice honey butter. The oysters were awesome. I wasn't expecting full sized oysters, but they were and were fried perfectly, served with a really good garlic butter sauce. My only regret was that I forgot to put some hot sauce on them. For my entree I was torn between the Gumbo ($13.95) or the jambalaya ($13.95) after talking with the waiter about both I decided on the gumbo, and my wife went with the jambalaya. It didn't take me long to realize I had made a mistake. I just really wasn't liking the gumbo much and her jambalaya was so good. I got the waiters attention and asked him if I could swap for the jambalaya which he did no problem. Unfortunately as I waited for it to come out the oysters started catching up with me and I got really full so I ended up eating maybe half of it, and taking the rest home. As full as we both were, we had to try the beignets ($4.95) which were excellent. Nice and warm, somewhat crispy on the outside and nice and doughy on the inside absolutely covered in powdered sugar. The place has a really cool, friendly vibe with the tables somewhat close together so every now and then you find yourself talking to your neighbor, getting ideas for what to order (Table next to me saw the oysters and then the table next to them ended up ordering them, and sharing their last couple with the other table). Angeline's continues to impress, but be sure and make a reservation. If not though, you can always drop your name in and then go next door to the cool Irish Pub and get some drinks as we did anyway.
Post a Comment