Check out the new Return Visits section in Jeff's Reviews. Located on the bottom of the review, it will show my thoughts on follow up visits to a location.

Amakara

7222 Regional St
Dublin, CA 94568
(925) 803-8485 www.amakaraco.com
Map It
Menu

Review This Restaurant

I went and picked up some sushi to go from Amakara in Dublin the other night. They've got a pretty decent sized regular bar (As well as a good sized sushi bar) so I sat at the bar, and ordered a beer while I waited. After a while a very friendly guy, whom I assume was the owner stopped by to apologize how long it was taking, and told me that the sushi bar was a little backed up so my beer was on the house. I had just finished my beer so he asked if he could get me anything else on the house. I told him he could give me just a little more beer to hold me over until the food was ready, and he filled me up another full glass. No complaints there. Then a little while later the food showed up, and THEN I finally remembered that I was going to ask if they knew what a scallop shooter was. For those of you that have been around a while, you know this has been a long search for me. To my surprise, they did! So I of course ordered one right up. Unfortunately, after a good at least 10 minutes went by and I'm looking at my $80 of sushi sitting there I finally had to cancel the shooter so I'll have to try theirs next time. So I take this ton of nigiri and some rolls home and my wife and I were very pleased with the quality of most everything. The salmon nigiri was excellent, as was the unagi, the saba, scallops, Philly Roll ($10.00) and most everything else we had. I will say that unfortunately the one dissapointment was with the yellowtail. It was a little chewy, definitely not what yellowtail should be. With the freshness of everything else Im hoping it was just an off night. I had a salmon skin hand roll ($5.00) which was very good, but a little small, and I don't think really had any actual salmon skin, just some pieces of cooked salmon which isn't the proper way of making one. One other thing I do unfortunately have to mention is the fact that my wife has been having stomache problems ever since eating it (Now 3 days ago). Not sure if it was bad fish, or possibly from her spicy tuna roll ($7.00) that was crazy hot. In all, the service was very friendly. The quality of the fish for the most part really good. Amakara is somewhere I will definitely go back to. That being said, if theres stomache issues again then it will obviously have to be cut off... watch for a return visit.

Quality of food = 8
Service = 9
Value = 7
Cleanliness = 7

Avg cost per person - $40 with tip

No comments: