
1512 Shattuck AveBerkeley, CA 94701
(510) 549-3055
www.cheeseboardcollective.coop
Map It
Menu
Review This Restaurant
There's a few things you need to know about eating at The Cheeseboard Pizza Collective in Berkeley before you go, otherwise you may end up looking confused as I did. The first, right next door there is The Cheeseboard which is as its name suggests, a cheese store. They do also though sell their pizzas there as well either by the whole ($20.00) or the half ($10.00). I thought it was odd that the smallest you could buy was a half a pizza, but whatever so I walked up to the counter and after talking to the guy he told me I really wanted to be next door. These ones were take and bake style. The second, they only have one type of pizza they serve each day, which are all always vegetarian. I didn't even see the daily type of pizza posted anywhere. The third, be prepared to literally eat in the middle of the street. After getting to the right place the first thing I noticed was the live Jazz band playing in the corner. Pretty cool. There was a bit of a line, maybe about 4 people deep or so. Later on I realized I was lucky because that ended up going out the door, and down the block. So anyway, I ordered a slice ($2.50) and got lucky and found a table right outside. It was nice, there is an opening in the wall so you can hear and see the band playing inside. So anyways, on to the pizza. I'll admit I was a little turned off that they were all vegetarian. After taking my first bite I realized it didn't matter. This was good pizza. On this day the pizza had grilled red and yellow peppers, onions and crushed I think palmetto olives, which were more like a spread and very tasty. The pizza was really good. The thin crust dough was nice and crunchy yet chewy at the same time. All the vegetables were very fresh and flavorful. Forgot to mention there was also some olive oil drizzled on top. A slice is actually small slice, and a little bit larger slice so 1 really equals 2. After finishing I was wishing I had more, but the line had gotten pretty crazy by that point so I walked around Berkeley for a while and made my way back when the line was more manageable. This time around I wasn't quite so lucky to get a table, so I had to make my way to the median in the center of the road and sit in the grass. Even though there are a bunch of signs saying Keep Off Median it seems that no one cares, including the cops. It was nice sitting in the grass, although I will admit a bit harrowing having cars whizzing by behind you, hoping an extended mirror didn't catch your head. If you are looking for some really tasty pizza, and a true Berkeley experience then go check out Cheeseboard Pizza in Berkeley.
Quality of food = 8
Service = 7
Value = 9
Cleanliness = 7
Avg cost per person - $8 no tip
No comments:
Post a Comment