Check out the new Return Visits section in Jeff's Reviews. Located on the bottom of the review, it will show my thoughts on follow up visits to a location.

Dean's Cafe

620 Main St
Pleasanton, CA 94566
(925) 846-4222
Map It


Review This Restaurant


Wanted to try somewhere new for breakfast today. I searched around and found a place called Deans Cafe downtown Pleasanton. I had seen some good reviews about it so figured we would give it a try. I would say for the most part the food was good, the service however pretty much blew. I keep seeing all these reviews about how great the service is so I dont know if maybe I went on an off day or what. It started when we walked in and the three girls up front almost seemed bothered to stop their conversation to have to notice and ultimately seat us. It took them a while to stop talking, and finally get us seated. They then brought out this ancient high chair for our 18 month old which took the girl a while to figure out how to get the tray part on. Whatever. Better than nothing. We opened the menu and immedialtely noticed omelettes, and TONS of them. This place has to have the biggest selection of omelettes I've ever seen. Had to have been at least 200. After about 10 minutes the waitress finally came by to take our order. I ordered an omelette with chorizo, onions, tomatoe and added cheddar ($9.75). My wife ordered what ended up being the wierdest Mexican scramble we've ever seen ($10.50) but more on that later. For the kids we ordered off the kids menu. First one had the french toast ($5.50) which was two pieces of French Toast, an egg, bacon and sausage. For the other we got the pancake ($5.50) which was pretty much the same thing with a pancake instead. We had already had coffee so we didn't order that, and drank our pretty gross tasting tap waters instead. Well, after we ordered we waited, and waited, and waited some more. FINALLY, after about seriously 40 minutes our food came out. Mine looked good, although I will admit it didn't look quite as big as some of the other omelettes I saw coming out, but it was fine. My hash browns were very good. Nice and crispy. The omelette itself was also good, with the chorizo being nice and tasty and everything else working well too. The english muffin was toasted perfectly, nice and dark. My wifes scramble came out and in the description it said it came with mexican spices, beans, cheese, etc. Well, when she saw beans she was thinking pinto beans, or refried beans. Not STRING BEANS. String beans in a Mexican Scramble. Are you kidding me? Wierd. I wanted to ask the waitress if that was what was supposed to be in there, but I never saw her again after the initial stop by to make sure everything was OK and I hadn't noticed at that point. Her hash browns were also undercooked and mushy. The kids food looked good. Good sized pancake, and pretty decent french toast. I will probably try Deans again sometime, to give it another chance but certaintly wont rush back.

Quality of food = 6
Service = 5
Value = 7
Cleanliness = 6

Avg cost per person - $12 with tip

No comments: