Check out the new Return Visits section in Jeff's Reviews. Located on the bottom of the review, it will show my thoughts on follow up visits to a location.

Ahtenian Deli and Cafe


 
2125 Franklin Street
Oakland, CA 94612
(510) 465-4590
www.atheniandeli.com
map it
menu

Review This Restaurant









I had planned on going to I.B.'s for a cheesesteak in Oakland the other day when I saw the Athenian Deli next door and decided a gyro sounded better. When I walked inside I was impressed by their menu. I decided on the Roast Lamb Sandwich ($6.10). I wasn't quite sure what to expect as their menu on the wall doesn't give any descriptions (their takeout menu does though). After a few minutes they called out my order and I picked up a pretty good sized sandwich, in a pita. Pretty much the same thing as a gyro, but like $2 more. I will admit I was hoping the lamb would be the larger chunks instead of thin slices, but that being said it was still very good. I liked their what they call gyro sauce as well as the fact that it had dijon mustard. When I first noticed it I thought it was a little odd, but it worked really well. The meat was tasty and the overall sandwich was very good, especially for that price. They have a lot of hot sandwiches on the menu that sound good for very cheap that I will definitely have to go back and try. I may even try their falafel which I saw about 3 people order when I was there.

***UPDATE***

I've been back a few times and had a few of their grilled sandwiches. They are all good, and cheap. Usually around $5. The Yachtsman, Tuna Melt and Crab Melt are all so good. I love the way they grill their bread and the sliced gouda melted is awesome. Definitely recommend trying their grilled sandwiches.

Quality of food =8
Service =7
Value =10
Cleanliness =7


Avg cost per person - $8 no tip

No comments: