
941 Carleton StBerkeley, CA 94710
(510) 845-6904
www.berkeleydinner.com
Map It
Menu
Review This Restaurant
I just got back from eating at Juan's Place in Berkeley. From a distance it looked like it could be a large house. I was seated in the back area near the window. After a minute or so someone brought out two kinds of chips, and some regular red salsa, as well as some salsa verde. Good chips, and good salsa. This place was off to a good start. Then a few minutes later my waiter stopped by to take my order. I first asked for the carnitas ($14.50) but I guess you can only get those on Fridays. Bummer. I then asked which was better, the chile verde ($14.50) or the mole chicken ($14.50). He suggested the mole, so thats what I went with. Don't let me forget to mention that he was also pretty rude the entire time. Not sure quite what this guys deal was. He never really spoke much, would just point and grunt mostly. So after a few minutes the food came out. It was a huge plate of mole chicken, with lots of sauce as well as a large side of rice and beans. The chicken was good. Nice and tender, and shredded easily. The sauce was pretty good. Not the worst I've had, not the best. The rice and beans were also good. It also came with 2 flour, and 2 corn tortillas. Honestly I would have preferred all corn, but oh well. After a little while after I was done they brought me out the check. I actually had a coupon from the Entertainment Book so my bill came to $7.47. I gave him my cash, and after about 10 minutes realized they forgot about my change. I finally asked for it, and they brought me $2.53 back. I had given them a 20 (At least Im pretty sure I did) and told them, and after a bit of uncomfortableness they gave me a 10. After a few blocks of walking I got to thinking that I may in fact have given them a 10. If I did, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to! Anyway, Juan's Place is a cool place with really good food. Don't expect to get out of here cheap though, and hopefully you don't end up with the same waiter I did.
**** UPDATE **** I just read on Contra Costa Times website this morning that two employees from here were arrested for beating a couple of customers with a tire iron and a steel pipe the same day I went. Told you the guy was grumpy!
Quality of food = 7
Service = 4
Value = 6
Cleanliness = 6
Avg cost per person - $21 with tip
No comments:
Post a Comment