Check out the new Return Visits section in Jeff's Reviews. Located on the bottom of the review, it will show my thoughts on follow up visits to a location.

Chef India

5100 Hopyard Road
Pleasanton, CA 94588
(925) 463-8773
www.chefindia.com
Map It
Menu

Review This Restaurant

Chef India in Pleasanton is the Indian place that I frequent most often for lunch. The selection is huge, and the food for the most part is great. They literally have the largest selection I've ever seen for an Indian buffet with over 20 items to choose from. They also, like most other buffets switch the available items around every day with a few staples such as the butter chicken (Honestly, not one of my favorites) tandoori chicken (They do it very well) saag, etc. They also have a decent salad area, as well as 2 different types of desserts, and ice cream. The majority of their dishes are vegetarian, with about 5 or so being either chicken on lamb dishes. They also have hot chai tea which is tasty. One thing I would like to see them do is hand out fresh naan instead of having it in the line. I hate when places do that. Today I will admit I was a little dissapointed, and grossed out. I was eating the chili chicken (really good) and bit into what was a pretty large piece. As I started to chew it I immediately noticed that it was pretty raw in the center. Yuck. I spit it out, and motioned to one of the waiters who was closeby. I told him what had happened and he just kindof smiled and nodded. Not sure if maybe he didnt speak the greatest of english, or did he really not just care? I then brought it up again when I was paying my tab up front and the guy said sorry, and told me he would talk to the cooks about it. I really think they should have knocked off at least a couple bucks off the bill as it kindof ruined the rest of the meal for me. I will say though that that was the only time Ive had any issues there, and it is worth trying.

Quality of food = 8
Service = 7
Value = 7
Cleanliness = 8

Avg cost per person - $12 with tip for buffet

3 comments:

Jeff said...

Went back to Chef India for lunch today with some people from work. The standouts today were the okra, and the chili chicken. Both were very good. As usual, I ate too much... A nap is sounding good about now...

Jeff said...

Went back for lunch again today. The Chili Chicken was even better than usual. They also had a sweet vegetable curry with tofu that was really tasty.

Jeff said...

Went back for the buffet for lunch today and the first round was good for the most part. They have changed out their tandoori chicken. These pieces just don't look right. They didnt look like chicken legs.. more like quail or something. Not sure what was going on there. What really got me though was my 1st bite on my 2nd plate had a nice big black hair in it. YUCK. I told the guy though and he was really nice about it and gave me my lunch for free, so will give them some bonus points there. I will say in all the times Ive been there this is the first cleanliness issue Ive had there.