Check out the new Return Visits section in Jeff's Reviews. Located on the bottom of the review, it will show my thoughts on follow up visits to a location.

Locust Street Deli & Cafe

1552 Locust St
Walnut Creek, CA 94596
(925) 945-6669
Map It


Review This Restaurant


Who would have thought that I would have one of the better Cheesesteak sandwiches I've had in a while at a Korean owned Deli in downtown Walnut Creek? Well, that's exactly what I had at the Locust Street Deli and Cafe in Walnut Creek. I originally ordered a NY Style Hot Pastrami Sandwich ($5.85) but then saw they had an assortment of cheesesteaks. I went with the Pizza Steak ($5.60) and added a side of fries ($1.85). I ordered the food at the counter from the really friendly guy, Im assuming one of the owners and then went to take a seat. One down side to this place is I won't say its very clean. There were about 4 tables with uncleared plates and things on them that were that way up until right before I was done eating. After a few minutes they called my order and I went and picked up the food, and paid. At first glance I could tell the sandwich was going to be good. I did, however want a little more sauce on it so I asked the guy for some extra and thought it was kindof amusing to see him pull out a big Costco thing of Prego spaghetti sauce and pour it into one of those little plastic cups. Anyway, back to the sandwich. The meat was very good, as was the roll, the cheese, and onions. I would have preferred the mushrooms to have been cut a little smaller, and there was something spicy in there that didn't quite mix. Next time instead of just saying I'll take everything on it I will have to see exactly what "everything" is and lose the spicy stuff (Im thinking maybe jalapenos?). The fries were the crinkle cut kind and also very good and crunchy. Overall, a tasty sandwich, good fries and at a great price I know I will be back. Next time I will have to try one of their Hoagies I saw on the board.

Quality of food = 7
Service = 7
Value = 9
Cleanliness = 5

Avg cost per person - $8 no tip

1 comment:

Jeff said...

I went back to Locust Street Deli and Cafe yesterday and tried one of their Italian Hoagies ($5.60). It was ok, not great by any means. There was just something off about the roll that left it tasting a bit funky, and not very much on the sandwich either. I need to go try Genovas as I hear their Italian hoagie is great.